Tuesday 24 May 2011

It's not what you know.

After a day of shopping I dragged my aching pins into the apartment and fell onto the sofa.  As I was sinking into the downy softness and thinking sleep, sleeeeeeeeep, - the phone rang.

Carmelo had told us on Sunday that Elvis Costello was playing at the Beacon Theater on Monday night. Three sold out shows this week.

Jane had asked us if we wanted to go and called someone saying "what would it take to get tickets to tomorrow night?"   Then we all forgot about it.

I picked up the phone and it was Jane saying the tickets are on the way, you have an hour to get to there.

My heart sank, I was sooooo damn tired my eyeballs were bleeding, so my first thought was, we'll scalp the tix, or just walk onto the street and give them away, the third thought was, "are you crazy? Get moving!"

So washed and dressed we dove into a cab and walked into the theater just as Elvis walked onto the stage.

We knew the tickets would be good and were ushered to the sixth row with huge grins on our faces.

Elvis is so much fun,  he had a huge spinning wheel on stage with all the song names on it and would get people (women mostly) to come up and spin it then sing which ever song it landed on.  Or he would move it to one he wanted to play.

It was a small intimate theater with beautiful Rococo embellishments.  He would wander down off the stage and walk through the audience singing while we all ooohed and aahed.

I danced, I sang, I slept on my feet with my eyes open.

Loved it.  It's not what you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment