Friday 20 May 2011

It's Friday.

Less than twelve hours to go and I really should pack.    Packing must be related to studying because every time I go to start I find that I need to do the washing, clean the bathroom or ring my mother.  I had imagined cruising through this week throwing some things in a bag and gliding onto the plane.  But as all good plans do, that one has crashed and burned.

Which is the next thing on my mind.  My favorite place use to be the departure lounge of the  international airport.  It meant I was about to embark on an adventure, go to see some old friends or get away from a disastrous relationship.  All equaly exciting.

After an horrific flight from Jogjajakarta to Denpasar with Bali belly, through an awful tropical storm, I have never felt the same about having my feet thousands of metres above the earth. 

So I start sweating about 18 hours before, don't sleep and am the bitch from hell by the time the plane is in the air.  I then try to distract myself from the fact that I am in a metal tube hurtling through the clouds by watching movies.  I will even sit through Jennifer Aniston rom-coms.  This will be a six-movie flight, I have already checked out what is on and I'm imagining by the time we land in LA I will have a head stuffed so full of Hollywood crap that I will be numbed into handling the next flight.

And this is with an airline I feel comfortable with, wait till I get on a Cubanair Russian built plane.

I have a bunch of things to help me on the plane. I have found that I like to be comfortable as I get older and there is nothing comfortable about cattle class on an international flight.  I have my blow up pillow, an eyemask, custom made ear plugs, travel essence, moisturister for my eyes, face and lips, healthy snacks and water to drink and spray on me.  I manage to stop short of taking my pillow, but only just.

Quinn has been watching Indiana Jones movies all week and we have decided to hum the opening tune as we take off.  I like to let those around me know that I am weird and not someone you want to strike up a thirteen hour conversation with, just in case they are weird and not someone I want to strike up a thirteen hour conversation with, especially when I'm feeling like the bitch from hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment